Go to content

10 questions and answers

Info Norden provides answers to all kinds of questions about freedom of movement in the Nordic countries. As far as possible, the answers always refer the inquirer to information on Info Norden’s own web pages, which are quality-assured by the relevant authorities, or to the authorities themselves. Here are ten anonymised examples of questions and answers from 2023.

1. I live in Denmark and work in both Norway and Sweden. How do I apply for Norwegian and Swedish pensions? When you apply for a Danish pension, your application will automatically apply to both Sweden and Norway as well. Udbetaling Danmark will obtain the relevant information and ensure that the application is passed on to the foreign pension authorities. You can find an application form at borger.dk, where you can also read about what documentation from Norway and Sweden you will need to enclose.
  2. How are Norwegian qualifications recognised in Sweden, if I want to work there? Sweden recognises qualifications from the other Nordic countries. You can apply to have your qualifications recognised in Sweden if you are seeking admission to a study programme, or if you wish to transfer your study periods from your home country, or intend to start work. For more information and details about which authorities to contact, see the Info Norden article "authorisation and recognition of foreign qualifications in Sweden".
  3. Is an enduring power of attorney issued in Denmark valid in Finland, so that I can obtain access to my brother’s bank account? An enduring power of attorney ensures that your wishes and legal rights are respected and that your personal and financial circumstances are properly managed if you become ill, or are unable to make your own decisions due to physical or mental impairment. There are no common Nordic agreements to recognise such an agreement established in another Nordic country. This means that in the first instance, you should contact your brother’s Finnish bank.
  4. What do I need to consider if I live in Norway and work remotely for an employer in Sweden? Remote-working employees are subject to the same collective agreements, local agreements and practices as other employees. Normally, you are covered by social security in the country in which you physically work. If you work in Sweden but live in Norway, you will usually be covered by social security according to Swedish rules. If you exclusively work from home, you will be covered by Norwegian social security (Trygd). However, there are exceptions if you work in several countries. You should contact NAV and Försäkringskassan to find out what rules apply in your particular situation. Your taxation depends on your work situation, so you should also contact Skatteverket, the Swedish tax authority, for precise information on how your taxation will be affected.
  5. Is it necessary to fill in a declaration of all your household goods, such as furniture, clothes, kitchen utensils, etc., when moving to Norway? You can take your household goods with you to Norway without paying customs duties or other tariffs if you have been continuously resident abroad for at least one year. You must have owned and used the items while you were abroad, and plan to continue using them in Norway after your relocation. To qualify for the exemption from customs duties, you must import your household goods within a reasonable period of time, and no later than one year after you have moved to Norway. There is no specific requirement regarding how long you must keep them before possibly selling them, without losing your tax exemption. You must also fill in the Household Goods Declaration (RD0030), which is available at the website of Tolletaten (the Norwegian Customs Service).
  6. We are a Danish company sending employees to Norway to work as fitters. Will they need a special permit to work on a Norwegian construction site? Any company that carries out work in Norway on construction sites, or as a whole or a partial provider of cleaning services, manual car care, wheel storage or wheel changing, is required to provide all its employees with HSE (Health, Safety and Environment) cards. You can read more at hmskort.no. If you have any questions, you can contact Arbeidstilsynet (the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority).
  7. What will I need to get if I am going to Svalbard to work for six months? First and foremost, you should preferably already have a job in Svalbard before you move there. It is not easy to find a place to stay without a job, as most homes are offered via the workplace. If you intend to stay in Svalbard for less than six months, you will not be registered as resident there. You can read more about Svalbard in the Info Norden article “Moving or travelling to Svalbard”.
  8. How can I register my child as a Swedish citizen if the child is born in Denmark? The citizenship of a child born in the Nordic countries depends on the citizenship of the parents. If one of the parents is a Swedish citizen and the child is born outside Sweden, the child will be a Swedish citizen, but will not automatically be registered in the Swedish national register at birth, and will not be given a Swedish civil registration number. You can register your child with its first name and surname in the Swedish national register by filling in the form SKV 7750 and sending it to Skatteverket (the Swedish Tax Agency). The child will then be registered as a Swedish citizen and assigned a Swedish co-ordination number.
  9. What will I need to do in the process of inheritance after the death of my uncle, who lives in Finland? The EU Succession Regulation determines which country’s rules should be applied in connection with inheritance. The general rule is that it is the rules of the country in which the deceased lived at the time of death that apply. You can read more in the Info Norden article “Death of a family member in Finland”. 
  10. If I am a dual national of Finland and Sweden, will I be subject to conscription in the event of war?
    As a citizen of a Nordic country, you are in principle subject to the military service rules of that country. If you are a citizen of a country where compulsory military service applies, you may be required to take military service there even if you now reside in another country. However, an international agreement stipulates that a person with citizenship in two or more Nordic countries must serve his or her military service in the country where he or she resides. You can read more in Section 3 of the Finnish Conscription Act.
For us in the Nordic Council, it has always been particularly important to safeguard and promote the popular dimension of the Nordic cooperation. We attach great importance to those institutions and projects that are in direct contact with citizens and help them in their everyday lives. Info Norden is an excellent example of such a service – one that builds bridges between the Nordic countries by focusing on the needs and questions of ordinary people.
Bryndís Haraldsdóttir, president of the Nordic Council